Applying for benefits
When do I apply?
Apply for benefits the same week you become unemployed or your hours are greatly reduced.
Apply online or by phone Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.:
- Online at www.uimn.org
Select Applicants and then Apply for Benefits.
- By phone choose English, Spanish, Hmong, or Somali.
(If you need another language, follow the steps on the Contact Customer Service page to speak to a representative and request an interpreter.)
- Twin Cities area: 651-296-3644
- Greater Minnesota: 1-877-898-9090
- TTY - for the hearing impaired: 1-866-814-1252
After you apply we will mail you information about your benefits and how to request payments (see Requesting Benefit Payments ). The information includes your weekly benefit amount if you are eligible for benefits (see How much will I receive? ).
What if I'm unemployed for a reason other than layoff?otherReason
If you are unemployed for any reason other than lack of work, Minnesota law requires that we follow a process to determine if you are eligible for benefits.
- During the application we ask questions about why you are unemployed.
- We will ask your employer the same questions.
- We will review your answers and your employer’s answers to determine if you are eligible for benefits.
- We will mail you and your employer a determination that tells you if you are eligible. Either you or your employer can appeal the determination.
It is important to respond to all questions completely, honestly and quickly.