Who Needs to Register
Reference: Minnesota Law, §268.042 Subd.1
Under Minnesota Unemployment Insurance Law, every individual or organization that pays covered wages in Minnesota must register with the Minnesota Unemployment Insurance (UI) Program. Registration should be done as soon as possible after the first wages are paid for covered employment in Minnesota. Registration must occur prior to the due date of the first quarterly wage detail report the employer is required to submit. However, do not register until covered wages have actually been paid.
Certain employers have different registration requirements for unemployment insurance than those stated in the paragraph above, depending on their legal organization and/or their type of business. For more information, see the following sections of this handbook:
Other State and Federal Registration Requirements
All employers must comply with state and federal registration requirements before registering for a Minnesota Unemployment Insurance Employer Account.
State of MinnesotaMinnesota Secretary of State
651-296-2803 | 1-877-551-6767 | TTY 1-800-627-3529 or 711
Minnesota Department of Revenue
651-282-9999 | 1-800-657-3594 | TTY users call Minnesota Relay at 711
Business and Specialty Tax
How to Registerhow
Before you start either the online or phone registration, you should know or have available the following information:
- Type of legal entity (corporation, sole proprietorship, LLC, etc.)
- Name of legal entity as registered with the Secretary of State
- Doing business as name, if different than legal name
- Physical address of the business
- Mailing address (if different from the physical address)
- Federal Employment Identification Number (FEIN)
- Minnesota Department of Revenue Taxpayer ID Number
- Primary business activity performed in Minnesota
- If a corporation: state and date of incorporation
- Information for all owners / officers
- Social Security Number
- Home address
- Percentage of ownership
- Source of business (is the business new, or was it acquired from another entity?)
- Dates that covered employees first performed services in Minnesota
- Date that first wages were paid to covered employees (including owner/officers owning 25 percent or more, if coverage has been elected)
- Number of covered employees in Minnesota
- Agent ID (if applicable).
Register for an employer account using the Employer Self-Service System available online and by phone.
- Online at www.uimn.org
click Employers & Agents; then under I Need To....Register for an Account, click Employer. Refer to Register a New Account in the Employer Self-Service System User Guide for step-by-step instructions.
- By phone using the automated phone system (IVR). This option should be used only by employers who do not have access to the internet. Call 651-296-6141 and press option 2.If the business is a result of a reorganization of, or acquisition from another business, additional information may be required before a tax rate can be assigned.