Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are currently serving more workers than we ever have before. As a result, it may take longer than usual to reach a customer service representative if you have a question.
Please read this handbook thoroughly and visit us online at www.uimn.org for updates and the latest information on any extended or supplemental benefit programs.
Effective October 25, 2020 through October 30, 2021
This handbook provides important information about unemployment benefits, including:
- How to apply.
- How your eligibility is determined.
- What you must do each week to receive a benefit payment.
The information in this handbook is an overview of unemployment insurance benefits. It does not cover every topic, answer all questions, or take the place of the law.
It is your responsibility to read this handbook and all information you receive from Minnesota Unemployment Insurance.
The Unemployment Insurance Program is administered by the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED). DEED provides free assistance to all applicants and employers who have questions about unemployment insurance. There is never a need to pay a third party to help you apply for or request unemployment benefits.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Unemployment Insurance (UI) checklist
- Official website
- Applying for benefits
- When do I apply?
- How do I apply?
- What if I'm unemployed for a reason other than layoff?
- Using your password
- Your password and Social Security number
- If you forget your password, you can reset it yourself
- After you apply
- How much will I receive?
- Requesting benefit payments
- When do I request benefit payments?
- Request a benefit payment online
- Request a benefit payment by phone
- When can I expect my first payment?
- Nonpayable week (suspended through December 31, 2020)
- How will I be paid?
- How does direct deposit work?
- How does the unemployment debit card work?
- Report work when requesting benefit payments
- How does working affect my benefits?
- What if my hours vary week to week?
- What happens if I fail to report my hours and earnings?
- Income that may affect benefits
- Understanding weekly eligibility requirements
- What do I need to do each week?
- How does going to school affect my benefits?
- Stopping and starting benefit payments
- What if I go back to work?
- What if I'm unemployed again?
- Withholdings from benefit payments
- Income taxes, overpayments, child support
- Unemployment during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Reemployment Assistance
- Contact customer service
- Phone numbers, mailing address, fax number
- Help finding your next job
- Online job search eLearning classes
- Financial help and community services
- Additional information
- Job seeking resources
- Privacy rights and alternative language