Understanding weekly eligibility requirements
What do I need to do each week?
To be eligible for benefits for any week, you must:
- Submit a timely Request for benefit payment.
- Be able and willing to immediately accept work in your usual occupation or other suitable employment.
- Look for work and be willing to accept the hours, wage, commuting distance, and other conditions of employment that are normal for someone in your occupation with your skills and experience.
You are not eligible for weeks you:
- Are traveling outside your commuting area, unless you are traveling to actively seek work.
- Have a medical condition or other circumstances that prevent you from working or looking for work.
You must actively look for work even if you have a part-time job or expect to return to a seasonal job. You must make a serious effort to find work every week you request a benefit payment.
How does going to school affect my benefits?school
If you are taking classes, you must continue to look for work and be willing to rearrange or quit classes if necessary to accept work. If we approve full time training, your training will be in place of the work search requirement.
High school students are not eligible for unemployment benefits.