The Quarterly Benefits Paid File lists the detail for each applicant who received unemployment benefits that were charged to your employer account during the related quarter. The summed charges for each applicant will equal the amounts shown on the Statement of Benefits Paid Charges for the related quarter.
A blank Microsoft Excel worksheet is provided in the below instructions to assist in sorting applicants and determining the total benefits paid charges per applicant.
To download a benefits paid charges file:
- Log in to your account at www.uimn.org
- On My Home Page, click Benefits Paid Charge Activities.
- Click Quarterly Benefits Paid File Download. The File Search page displays.
- Enter a date range. To search all quarterly benefits paid files, leave the date range blank.
- Click Search.
- Under Details, click the File ID link you want to download. A File Download prompt will display.
- Click Open. The file download will begin. A Microsoft Excel prompt will display.
Note: You may have to minimize your window to view the Microsoft Excel prompt.
- Click Yes.
To separate the file data into columns:
- On the Quarterly Benefits Paid File Excel worksheet, place your cursor in cell A1.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl + A.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl + C.
- Open a new blank Excel workbook.
- Click in cell A1.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl + V.
- Make sure column A is selected, and then click the Data tab (across the top of the page).
- Click Text to Columns. The Convert Text to Column prompt will display.
- Select the Delimited option button, click Next.
- Uncheck the checkbox next to Tab.
- Click the checkbox next to Comma, and then click Next.
- Select the General option button, and then click Finish.
- Save the Excel worksheet to your computer.
To sort the file by Social Security number:
- On the Excel worksheet, press Ctrl + A.
- On the Home tab (across the top of the page), click Sort & Filter, and then click Custom Sort. The Sort prompt will display.
- Select Column A (Social Security numbers column) from the Sort by drop down menu, and then click OK.
Applicants' Social Security numbers (column A) are now grouped together.
To calculate total charges by individual:
- Insert a blank row between all applicants' data.
Note: Some applicants may have multiple lines. To insert a blank row:
- Select the whole row below the last row of data for an applicant, and then right-click your mouse, click Insert. A blank line will display between the two applicants.
- Repeat this process for all applicants.
- In Column L, place your cursor in the blank cell under the charges for a designated applicant.
- On the Home tab, Click AutoSum. The AutoSum feature will select the charges for the designated applicant.
- Click Enter. The total charges for the designated applicant will now display.
- Repeat this process for every individual. The sum of each individual total will match the amount due for the quarter.
NOTE: For a description of each column heading, see Benefits Paid Charges Quarterly Download.