Effective October 27, 2019 through October 24, 2020
This handbook provides important information about unemployment benefits, including:
- How to apply.
- How your eligibility is determined.
- What you must do each week to receive a benefit payment.
The information in this handbook is an overview of unemployment insurance benefits. It does not cover every topic, answer all questions, or take the place of the law.
It is your responsibility to read this handbook and all information you receive from Minnesota Unemployment Insurance.
The Unemployment Insurance Program is administered by the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED). Benefits are funded by a tax paid only by employers. No deductions from employees' paychecks are used to pay the cost of benefits.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Unemployment Insurance (UI) checklist
- Official website
- Applying for benefits
- When do I apply?
- How do I apply?
- What if I'm unemployed for a reason other than layoff?
- Using your password
- Your password and Social Security number
- If you forget your password, you can reset it yourself
- After you apply
- How much will I receive?
- Requesting benefit payments
- When do I request benefit payments?
- Request a benefit payment online
- Request a benefit payment by phone
- When can I expect my first payment?
- Nonpayable week
- How will I be paid?
- How does direct deposit work?
- How does the unemployment debit card work?
- Report work when requesting benefit payments
- How does working affect my benefits?
- What if my hours vary week to week?
- What happens if I fail to report my hours and earnings?
- Income that may affect benefits
- Understanding weekly eligibility requirements
- What do I need to do each week?
- How does going to school affect my benefits?
- Stopping and starting benefit payments
- What if I go back to work?
- What if I'm unemployed again?
- Withholdings from benefit payments
- Income taxes, overpayments, child support
- Reemployment Assistance
- Contact customer service
- Phone numbers, mailing address, fax number
- Help finding your next job
- Online job search eLearning classes
- Additional information
- Job seeking resources
- Privacy rights and alternative language