Year-end tax information – IRS Form 1099-G
Unemployment benefits are taxable income under both federal and Minnesota laws.
- IRS Form 1099-G has been mailed to everyone who was paid Minnesota unemployment benefits in 2018.
- The form was mailed to the address listed on your account on December 31, 2018.
- The form shows the total benefits paid and all federal and state income taxes withheld.
Accessing year-end tax information
To view and print your Form 1099-G from your online account:
- Log in to your account
- On My Home Page, select View and Maintain My Account (on the left navigation bar).
- Select My 1099-G's from the expanded list.
- Select the link of the year you want to view.
NOTE: To view and print your 1099-G, you need an installed copy of Adobe Reader 5.0 or higher.
To hear 1099-G information by phone:
- Call the automated phone system:
- Twin Cities area: 651-296-3644
- Greater Minnesota:1-877-898-9090
- TTY - for the hearing impaired: 1-866-814-1252
- Make your language choice: English, Spanish, Hmong, or Somali.
(If you need another language, follow the steps on the Contact Customer Service page to speak to a representative and request an interpreter.)
- Enter your Social Security number.
- Enter your password and then press the # key.
- You may hear important messages about your account. After any messages, listen to your options and follow these steps:
- Press 2 for either Other Options or Other account information (what you will hear depends on your account status).
- Listen to your options and then:
- Press 2 for Other account information
- Press 3 for Information needed to file your income taxes.
Questions about taxes
- Federal income tax related questions: contact the Internal Revenue Service at www.irs.gov or 1-800-829-1040.
- State income tax related questions: contact the Minnesota Department of Revenue at www.revenue.state.mn.us